Here in Maryland, Spring is in the air. One of my favorite things to do this time of year is plant flowers for the season. I was going through all of my gardening tools and accessories when I came upon a trio of old plant stands I had bought several years ago. The paint was chipping and they were beginning to rust. Instead of throwing them away, I decided to restore the beauties so I could enjoy them all season long.
I am a firm believer in reusing and up cycling, especially if the project only requires a few coats of paint. It’s a great way to save money, and if you do a good paint-job, your item will look brand new. Plus, you can customize the item by choosing a paint color that aligns with your personal style and caters to your space.
It’s no secret that I tend to opt for earth-tone colors, so it’s unusual that I chose to use orange as the dipper color.
Why orange? Well, I first determined where I wanted to place the plant stands. I have an area in front of our house that was looking a little bare, so I figured this would be the perfect area for my plant stands. Since they would be directly in front of our house, I wanted the dipper color to play off the brick color.
For this project, my goal was to avoid buying anything. I wanted to only use paint I already had on-hand. If I would have spent money on this project, I would have gone with a more terra cotta-colored paint. Orange was a close second, and I happened to have a can of half-used orange paint in my basement. So, orange became the dipper color.
Here are the before pictures of my plant stand trio:
Here are the half-used spray paint cans I used. The orange says “cinnamon,” but after doing the project they really look more orange than cinnamon in my opinion.
You can see in the next up-close picture that the paint was chipping and the plant stand ends were rusting. They were definitely in need of some TLC.
The first step in this makeover was to spray-paint each plant-stand with 2-3 coats of black paint. This took longer than I had anticipated because I had to get the paint in between each nook and cranny, and there were certainly a lot. I think I had my hand at every angle imaginable in order to get the paint to cover the stands entirely!
I had to make sure they dried before continuing. To prepare to paint the legs, I used painters tape to section off slightly more than 1/3 of each foot. I did not measure because, in this case, you can’t really tell if the height is a little off on each leg.
Woah! Here’s the orange. It was bright when it first went on. Luckily, it can got a bit duller as it dried.
After the plant stands dried, I added my pots.
Not bad for an hour’s worth of time. I’m also happy I spent no money at all for this project and was able to use things I already had on-hand.